Advice on Vacant Retail Premises
Garda Síochána and the Irish Security Industry Association give the following advice to keep retail premises secure at this time:
• Ensure all entrance points to the building are protected with the best security solution, locks and bolts.
• We would advise the removal and banking of cash from premises for businesses closing for extended periods. Or ensure your cash-safe is insurance rated for the appropriate amount.
• Limit the amount of cash stored on the premises or in ATM’s.
• Use lighting to draw attention and deter criminals from approaching entrances.
• Routinely check the perimeter of your premises and inform Gardaí by telephone if you notice anything suspicious.
• Ensure that your alarm system is monitored by an Alarm Receiving Centre.
• Periodically test your premises alarm system with your Alarm Receiving Centre.
• Dual path intruder alarm signalling should be employed and connected to an Alarm Receiving Centre via, IP, GSM (Grade 3 or 4) or Radio backup.
• Ensure that your alarm has adequate coverage, particularly in voids above ceilings, where Point to Point beams may be employed.
• Leave tills empty and open when not in use.
• Look for Garda assistance when attending to an alarm.